From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:36:45
1 On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:55:23 +0100, Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org> wrote:
4 > On Feb 11, 2010, at 11:02 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:00:27 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Yes, I can organize my files to the point where I rarely ever use
9 >>> find. Just because you can't, is not a reason to slow down everybody
10 >>> else's desktop.
11 >>
12 >> Is this ignorance or FUD?
13 >>
14 >> It must be FUD because it has already been stated countless times in
15 >> this
16 >> thread that this service can be switched off.
17 >
18 > Just to come full circle, the thread started because the kmail is now
19 > requiring the semantic-desktop USE flag. So the consensus seems to be
20 > that if you use kmail, then you have to compile the semantic desktop
21 > features, then go back and turn off using the semantic desktop.
25 Agreed, this thead seems to have been blown out of proportion really.
26 One thing is if you install a fullblown DE, then having semantic-desktop
27 is fine, it's also fine that the DE forces you to build it, being that it
28 can be turned off. However I think that random apps that are a part of the
29 DE, but can be deselected, shouldn't have to force the users into building
30 anything that the DE requires. It just seems silly that if you want to use
31 the newest version of kate, kmail etc. that semantic-desktop is forced
32 upon you, when you're not interested in having the entire DE.
33 That's just my take on it anyway.
36 Zeerak