From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 07:51:34
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 26/12/2016 20:35, lee wrote:
4 >> Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 9:07 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
7 >>>> Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> writes:
8 >>>>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >>>>>>
10 >>>>>> It is even more frustrating that these so-called predictable network
11 >>>>>> names actually can change on a reboot, it's happened to me more than
12 >>>>>> once when multiple network cards are detected in a different order.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> >From Kay Sievers in [1]:
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> <BEGIN>
17 >>>>> Btw, predictable means it will not change between reboots, that names
18 >>>>> will not depend on enumeration order within the same setup. It does
19 >>>>> not mean or promise, that added kernel/driver/firmware features will
20 >>>>> not result in different names. That is expected behavior.
21 >>>>> </END>
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>> [1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-October/034614.html
24 >>>>
25 >>>> So the names will not change when rebooting and are to be expected to
26 >>>> possibly change at any time.
27 >>>>
28 >>>> How is that more reliable?
29 >>>
30 >>> It's more reliable than using the kernel's names because the names
31 >>> won't change UNLESS there's kernel/driver/firmware change for that
32 >>> NIC. I doubt that these changes occur that often. Perhaps someone else
33 >>> knows.
34 >>
35 >> What happens more often: That a network card is replaced with a
36 >> different one or that the software changes?
40 > OK, let me try explain this again.
41 >
42 > NIC names are tricky, several posters (myself included) have laid out
43 > various methods and options by which it can be done. Experience shows
44 > that in real life the simple traditional names are easy to remember but
45 > prone to changing and (worse) prone to race conditions. Other methods
46 > change less often in reality but the names are somewhat trickier to
47 > remember.
48 >
49 > Opinions on these things differ; experience on these things differ and
50 > people's use cases on these things differ greatly. A coder working in
51 > this area has to decide what sort of cases they want to support, what
52 > problems they want to attempt to solve and what new features they want
53 > to introduce; then they have to write the code.
54 >
55 > Once the code is written, the coder then has to decide what nomenclature
56 > to use when describing the software and the effects it has. In this case
57 > centered around systemd a word was chosen: "reliable".
58 >
59 > Some will think it's a good name, some don't care, some will think it's
60 > a bad name; and all of those things are basically irrelevant because the
61 > name doesn't tell you much abut what the software will do. Reading the
62 > fine manual will tell you that. It's all a part of being human because
63 > our languages are imprecise, heavily overloaded and hugely redundant. So
64 > are our spellings. But we are stuck with it because that's the general
65 > emergent behaviour of a homo sapiens brain.
66 >
67 > Arguing abut this is about as nonsensical as arguing about whether "lee"
68 > is a good handle on a forum or not. To a pedant it's a bad name, one
69 > can't tell if you are male, female or if it's actually an Asian family
70 > name....
71 >
72 > Or one could do what most folk do, and not see a problem with 3 letters
73
74 I agree.
75
76 What I don't agree with is that unrecognisable names generally make
77 things easier (though they can, depending on the circumstances).