From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] make modules_install error; modules not recognized as ELF files
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 22:00:23
1 On 15/03/2013 23:23, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 09:33:16AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
3 >> On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 03:37:05 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> For anybody who's reading this thread... you *MUST* use the "tools"
6 >>> flag with kmod in order to get basic stuff like a man page, lsmod, etc.
7 >>
8 >> The tools flag is enabled by default in the kmod ebuild, so only those who
9 >> choose to deliberately break their system with USE="-*" so they can spend
10 >> time fixing it will be affected.
11 >
12 > I did try installing on that netbook without "-*" in USE. Part way
13 > through the install, I already had more exclusion statements in
14 > package.use, than I have inclusion statements in a full install with
15 > "-*". It's a tradeoff, and I'm willing to do the extra work. On an old
16 > Atom netbook, I want to avoid running unnecessary stuff. Let's just say
17 > that optimised Gentoo is way faster on the netbook than the Windows
18 > Vista that it came with.
22 I don't understand this thing with USE="-*"
23
24 Heard all arguments, don't buy it, don't wanna go there, wanna make
25 suggestion:
26
27 Have you tried using the existing tools that are already in portage,
28 i.e. the profiles?
29
30 Find a leaner profile that more suits your needs like Neil suggested
31 (maybe default of desktop's parent), then extend and override it to suit
32 what you want? With a custom profile you can install it everywhere
33 without carrying around a package.use. I can only imagine what your
34 package.use looks like (massive) and honestly, I doubt you gain very
35 much in any realistic sense from individually setting every possible
36 flag...
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com