From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:11:44
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-12-14 17:48]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I got one more hard drive to move over and it is SATA. Question one,
5 > can the new mobo's do hot plugging for SATA drives? I have a plug on
6 > the front of the case and was wondering since it is on the front if
7 > they can be hot swapped or if I need to shutdown then hook it up. If I
8 > can hot swap, where does the power come from? I know the drives I put
9 > in the case have a separate power connection. How's that work exactly?
10 > Is that just for external drives that have their own power?
11 >
12 > I have two dries in here already. One I bought and one that was
13 > donated. This is what hdparm reports:
14 >
15 > fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sda
16 >
17 > /dev/sda:
18 > Timing cached reads: 6788 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3395.32 MB/sec
19 > Timing buffered disk reads: 328 MB in 3.01 seconds = 109.06 MB/sec
20 > fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
21 >
22 > /dev/sdb:
23 > Timing cached reads: 6736 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3367.58 MB/sec
24 > Timing buffered disk reads: 324 MB in 3.01 seconds = 107.69 MB/sec
25 > fireball ~ #
26 >
27 > Is that about normal? The mobo is 3Gbs/sec and the drives are too.
28 > Shouldn't they be faster than that? I read at one time that SATA is
29 > basically plug up and it works. Just checking if there is a setting I
30 > need to change.
31 >
32 > Related to the above, in the BIOS, it is set to Native IDE. Should
33 > that be set to AHCI instead? Is that why it is slower than expected?
34 > Is that good to go with Linux as well? I have this set in the kernel
35 > and built in as usual:
36 >
37 > AHCI SATA support
38 >
39 > Let me know if I am somewhat right on anything. Oh, I decided to name
40 > the new rig fireball instead of lightening. ;-) You may notice that
41 > in the paste up above.
42 >
43 > Thanks.
44 >
45 > Dale
46 >
47 > :-) :-)
50 Hi Dale,
51
52 as I know, the hd hardware can't nearly as fast as the bus speed
53 regardless whether it is 6GB/s or 3GB/s.
54 Quickly doing the same as you on my harddisk gave:
55
56 /dev/sda:
57 Timing cached reads: 6726 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3364.06 MB/sec
58 Timing buffered disk reads: 318 MB in 3.00 seconds = 105.93 MB/sec
59
60 The speeds of 6 GB/s or 3GB/s are only reached, when reading data
61 directly from the hd cache.
62
63 I dont know, what motherboard you use. But the settings you describe
64 seem to be identical to mine.
65
66 Important is:
67 In the BIOS go to the hd section and look, what the BIOS think the
68 speed of your hd is (3 GB/s or 6GB/s). When found directly set you
69 SATA chip to that speed. It is recommended to do so by the help of
70 text of my BIOS. I have a 3GB/s disk. And yes, IDE is ok.
71
72 Here you can find explanations about AHCI vs. IDE sata mode.
73 http://www.techarp.com/showfreebog.aspx?lang=0&bogno=316
74
75 On my board (ASUS Crosshair IV Formula) it was said, that AHCI is
76 slower than IDE, but (!) is not due to IDE vs. AHCI but to a
77 limitation of the chip.
78
79 Look at the benchmarks above: There no place to go faster than that.
80 3/6 GB/s on cach read are standard compliant and ~100 MB/s is the
81 limitation of hardware normal people like you and me can pay for.
82
83 Plug on the front:
84 This seems to be E-Sata jack AND SHOULD BE CONNECTED INTERNALLY ONLY
85 TO AN E-SATA (not SATA) JACK ON THE MOBO.
86
87 In unmounted status: Yes it should be hotpluggable as USB. BUT dont
88 connect the E-SATA jack of the case to a normal SATA jack on the
89 board!
90
91 E-SATA != SATA !!!!
92