From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Newb question on handling of kernels and patches in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:41:57
1 Bob Alexander wrote:
2
3 > Initially I emerged and used a gentoo-source IIRC kernel which worked
4 > perfectly.
5 > I then wanted to use the swsusp2 patch to the kernel. emerged a
6 > package and in fact it was an entirely new kernel tree with the
7 > patches included.
8 >
9 > The swsusp2 patches in this tree are not at the latest level and I am
10 > having problems (kernel oops) with this when suspending.
11 >
12 > What is the correct way to deinstall this second kernel tree and if
13 > possible emerge only the swsusp2 patches (I would know how to do that
14 > manually of course).
17 You might just need to:
18
19 echo sys-kernel/suspend2-sources ~x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
20
21 That will let you merge kernel 2.6.13 with suspend2 2.2-rc6 patches
22 instead of 2.6.12 with suspend2-2.1.9.9.
23
24 If you really need suspend2 2.2-rc7, then you can emerge
25 vanilla-sources, then apply the suspend2 patch yourself. You could also
26 try gentoo-sources if you want bootsplash and vesafb-tng, although the
27 suspend2 patches might not apply cleanly to that.
28
29 The only "problem" with this is that when you unmerge old kernel
30 sources, emerge will refuse to remove any patched, backup, or object
31 files, so you have to go delete the remaining files manually. But I
32 think you end up having to do that in any case, so this isn't really a
33 problem.
34
35 -Richard
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list