From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE menu missing: solved
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:09:24
1 2009/6/9 Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>:
2
3 > After the usual night's sleep to clear the cerebral tmp files
4 > I thought of starting the new day in KDE to try fixing things there.
5 > I swapped to my KDE version of  ~/.xinitrc  & then did 'startx'
6 > & yes the desktop menus & the panel menu had vanished.
7 > Then I started Krusader, got the 'open with' box for a text file
8 > & told it to open the file with Leafpad: it did some updating & obeyed.
9 > After that, the other default 'open with' apps worked as before
10 > & the KDE menus had been restored.  To get Apwal back with L-mouse
11 > I had to use the KDE Control Centre 'desktop behaviour' & re-apply it.
12 >
13 > So everything is back to normal & Krusader behaves properly on Fluxbox too.
14
15 Thanks Phillip.
16
17 Did you get any apps in the 'Open With' menu list? Mine is empty. To
18 get any application to open a file I have to type it manually (or
19 choose one from the cached drop down entries in the Open With panel).
20 I ran kate %U, but nothing much happened. :(
21
22 Will try to repeat all this in a KDE session just in case.
23
24 Meanwhile, what does your /home/<user>/.config/menus/applications.menu
25 look like. Mine is empty and comes up with the error shown below:
26
27 $ kbuildsycoca --menutest
28 Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
29 kbuildsycoca running...
30 kbuildsycoca running...
31 Reusing existing ksycoca
32 kbuildsycoca: WARNING: Parse error in
33 /home/michael/.config/menus/applications.menu, line 1, col 1:
34 unexpected end of file
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick