From: Graham Murray <graham@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc-2.12.1
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 09:57:33
1 I have glibc-2.12.1 running on two ~x86 systems with no problems so far.
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Anyone successfully built and using glibc-2.12.1 yet?
6 >
7 > I see the tree just pushed an update down from 2.11.2 to 2.12.1, and
8 > downgrading that package is decidedly non-trivial. Only comment I can find at
9 > this early stage is flameeye's blog, and this makes me quadruple nervous:
14 > And if you say that “the new GLIBC works for me”, are you saying that the
15 > package itself builds or if it’s actually integrated correctly? Because, you
16 > know, I used to rebuild the whole system whenever I made a change to basic
17 > system packages when I maintained Gentoo/FreeBSD, and saying that it’s ready
18 > for ~arch when you haven’t even rebuilt the system (and you haven’t, or you
19 > would have noticed that m4 was broken) is definitely something I’d define as
20 > reckless and I’d venture to say you’re not good material to work on the
21 > quality assurance status.
22 >
23 > “correctness” in the case of the system C library would be “it a t least
24 > leaves the system set building and running”; glibc 2.12 does not work this
25 > way.