From: ny6p01@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 01:53:11
1 On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:02:38PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:11:24 -0800, ny6p01@×××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 > > Or just import .config into the 'New' directory, and run plain ol' make
5 > > menuconfig. Menuconfig will import what it can from the old config. From
6 > > what I've read of the docs, make oldconfig is the dangerous part that
7 > > should be avoided between substantial kernel updates.
8 >
9 > make oldconfig is not the risk, importing the old config is. oldconfig
10 > tries to convert the old config to suit the new kernel, with a success
11 > rate probably in excess of 99%, despite what has been written about it.
12 >
13 > Using the old .config without make oldconfig is a good way of getting
14 > the worst of both worlds.
17 > --
18 > Neil Bothwick
19 >
20 > Windows Error #56: Operator fell asleep while waiting.
23 I don't mean to be petty, so forgive me - but I needed to check to see if
24 I'd misread the kernel upgrade guide. So I went back and checked the guide,
25 and I was confirmed in my impression. From the guide:
26
27 #Start Quotes
28 It is sometimes possible to save time by re-using the configuration file
29 from your old kernel when configuring the new one. Note that this is
30 generally unsafe -- too many changes between every kernel release for this
31 to be a reliable upgrade path.
32
33 The only situation where this is appropriate is when upgrading from one
34 Gentoo kernel revision to another. For example, the changes made between
35 gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2 will be very small, so
36 it is usually OK to use the following method. However, it is not appropriate
37 to use it in the example used throughout this document: upgrading from 2.6.8
38 to 2.6.9. Too many changes between the official releases, and the method
39 described below does not display enough context to the user, often resulting
40 in the user running into problems because they disabled options that they
41 really didn't want to.
42
43 To reuse your old .config, you simply need to copy it over and then run make
44 oldconfig. In the following example, we take the configuration from
45 gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and import it into gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2.
46
47 A much safer upgrading method is to copy your config as previously shown,
48 and then simply run make menuconfig. This avoids the problems of make
49 oldconfig mentioned previously, as make menuconfig will load up your
50 previous configuration as much as possible into the menu. Now all you have
51 to do is go through each option and look for new sections, removals, and so
52 on. By using menuconfig, you gain context for all the new changes, and can
53 easily view the new choices and review help screens much easier. You can
54 even use this for upgrades such as 2.6.8 to 2.6.9; just make sure you read
55 through the options carefully. Once you've finished, compile and install
56 your kernel as normal.
57
58 #End Quotes
61 Terry