From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] homemade nas setup
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 00:19:03
1 I've been looking into setting up or getting somekind of nas
2 storage/backup capability lately so thought I'd ask about it here
3 since I'm sure some of you will be using something or will have built
4 your own.
5
6 After looking at a few on google .. I'm a little surprised at the high
7 end pricetags and even the midranges for a factory made setup.
8
9 Makes me wonder what if anything I'd be missing, functionality wise,
10 if I were to build it up myself.
11
12 I see these storebought things are mostly running a small embedded
13 linux os.
14
15 The lowend stuff like WD `mybook 1tb world Edition II' advertises
16 gigabit throughput but I see many reviews that report way less in
17 practice. In fact it started to look like that particular one is way
18 below its advertised capability. I ran across many complaints about
19 dreadfully low write speads. Also apparently has some sorry thing
20 called Mionet for (secure) remote access.
21
22 I'm thinking of doing something like a semi-minimal regular (not
23 embedded) install on a P4 I have with asus P4C800 mobo and some 2 gigs
24 ram. Maybe add an extra sata controller (the mobo has one) so I can
25 put up to 6 or so sata disks on it along with one small IDE disk for
26 the OS (just to head of any problems related to installing on sata)
27
28 Maybe start with 2 500 sata disks and build up as I need it. Or more
29 likely `if I need it'... I kind of doubt I'd need more than 4 anytime
30 soon so maybe wait on the controller part too.
31
32 I guess I'd connect to it mostly thru samba/cifs for windows XP
33 machines that have lots of biggish graphics and video type stuff to
34 backup/store. And nfs for my main gentoo desktop.
35
36 I wondered what the downsides are compared to a medium range
37 storebought rig?
38
39 A few I can think of are space and noise.. but having never been
40 around our run a nas setup... I'm not sure if that is really true.
41
42 Anyway, a few thoughts on what I might be running into doing it myself,
43 or missing compared to storebought. Maybe maintenance
44 considerations.. or whatever, would be welcome.