From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: local mail access - Lock file
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 21:20:27
1 On 2017-03-13 11:52, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > I have access to local mail via "mutt" (which I don't use very often
4 > nowadays) so in order to access local "mbox" from Thunderbird I had to
5 > create an account (via Add Other Accounts) from Thunderbird settings.
6 > Is it the way to do it?
7 >
8 > Can I just create in my local folder /home/thelma/.thunderbird
9 > a link to /var/spool/mail ?
10 >
11 > Anyhow, when I added local account: thelma@localhost I could see all the
12 > local mail but when I deleted them (mostly cron job mails) they all came
13 > back.
14 >
15 > How these programs decide which one own a Lock.file?
16
17 Hello thelma, I'm afraid your post makes very little sense as written.
18 Let me guess what your real goal is: to access the same mailbox from
19 thunderbird and from mutt, at the same time.
20
21 When the mailbox is just a file or bunch of files in the local
22 filesystem, such a thing is always fraught with danger, even when the
23 mailbox is in a modern robust format such as maildir. And because you
24 mention /var/spool/mail, yours is probably in the ancient BSD format
25 which is the opposite of robust. So if you insist on proceeding this
26 way, I bet you a bottle of your favorite drink that you'll end up with a
27 corrupt mailbox and lost messages.
28
29 The safe way to do this is to run a local IMAP daemon, such as dovecot.
30 Then configure both clients as if to access a "remote server" mailbox,
31 except that the remote server is localhost.
34 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
35 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
36 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html