From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] embedded (gentoo) cloud?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 20:10:40
1 Well,
2
3 Just as research was propelling me out of the closet, to
4 proclaim that embedded (linux) systems are to become the backbone
5 of the new clouds and clusters, somebody beat me to the punchline.
6
7 Linaro, which is pretty much the largest collection of deep pocketed
8 folks in the embedded (arm64) game, has just announced debian and centos
9 versions of embedded Linaro for the cloud [1]. They have a large cache
10 of ported codes including but not limited to cephfs.
11
12 That makes sense why docker, currently the commercial leader in containers,
13 has subsumed Alpine Linux and it's OpenRC + Eudev platform for speed of
14 deployment and HPC performance advantages. [2] Also, systemd issues abound
15 in the cloud/cluster world. OpenRC's pathway to codes interfaced directly to
16 cgroups is proving to be quite the performance advantage, particularly for
17 specifically tuned clusters.
18
19 Still, since gentoo supports both OpenRC and Systemd, I'm just not sure why
20 somebody is not promoting gentoo as the best distro reference system for the
21 cloud-of-Things and Hi-Performance-Clusters. Since I have been digging
22 deeply into these and other related issues, Gentoo is everywhere, but just
23 not getting the public recognition it deserves as a distro and cloud/cluster
24 enabler. Perhaps all commercial vendors are actually scared of the power of
25 the Gentoo? Some have projected that if you run your clouds and clusters
26 directly on gentoo, you do not need vendors.... but more technical (gentoo)
27 experts.
28
29 Methinks so!
30