From: Marco Schuler <listworks@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem installing GRUB
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:39:38
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2/27/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
4 > On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Marco Schuler wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > On 2/26/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
8 > > > On Monday 26 February 2007, Marco Schuler wrote:
9 > > > > Hi all,
10 > > > >
11 > > > > after using other distributions for years I finally decided to go
12 > > > > with gentto to have to most flexibility. So here I am :-)
13 > > > >
14 > > > > I got trough the gentoo installation up to the point of
15 > > > > installing grub. After the command 'grub-install /dev/hda' my
16 > > > > machine hangs displaying the following meassage:
17 > > > > Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long
18 > > > > time
19 > > >
20 > > > You are installing grub to an IDE device. Is that how you normally
21 > > > address that device? It might be a SATA drive
22 > >
23 > > The device that I am installing grub to is a IDE device. So the
24 > > addressing should be ok. It is also mounted as /dev/hdaXY.
25 >
26 > OK, that's all fine then
27 >
28 > > > What is the contents of your device.map file? I've seen that cause
29 > > > grub to search endlessly for a device that isn't there
30 > >
31 > > As yesterday, I don't have my notebook at hand. I will check tonight.
32 > > What should be the content of device.map? Is it generated by grub?
33 >
34 > With your one and only drive it will look like this:
35 >
36 > (hd0) /dev/hda
37 >
38 > It describes a mapping between linux disk devices and what grub will
39 > call them.
40
41 Who generates this file? Grub, default from Gentoo?
42
43 > I just thought of something else: when you run grub-install, are you
44 > doing it from a properly booted system, from inside a chroot, from a
45 > rescue disk (where your gentoo filesystem is mounted somewhere), or a
46 > different environment altogether?
47
48 I am following the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook. So I run the
49 installation cd, and call grub-install from within the chroot
50 environment (I work remotely using a ssh conection to the installation
51 machine)
54 Cheers,
55 Marco.
56 --