From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Mount and write ntfs (natively)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:06:00
1 Gian Domeni Calgeer <gidoca@×××.ch> writes:
2
3 >> > Or does anyone know if any of the Live CDs `knoppix' style have this
4 >> > tool on board?
5 >>
6 >> ntfs3g is *VERY* *VERY* new. I don't think that a "knoppix style"
7 >> CD already has it. But I *bet*, that they'll have it quite soon.
8 >
9 > Hi
10 >
11 > On
12 > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=29233640&forum_id=2697
13 > Szakacsits Szabolcs mentions a LiveCD called Puppy which has ntfs-3g
14 > installed. See
15 > http://www.puppyos.net/. I haven't tried it, though.
16
17 PS a not to Alexander below this quote:
18
19 Looking thru those pages a bit I find that puppys support ntfs is a
20 system where it creates a file and then can write only inside that
21 file. ie, no ability to freely write to ntfs, like create/delete files.
22
23 http://www.puppyos.com/faq.htm
24 Q: NTFS partition
25 I have Windows XP installed on my computer, and the hard drive is partitioned with a single NTFS partition. When I boot up with the Puppy live-CD, the "home" file is not created on /root, so I can't have any permanent storage. Why doesn't Puppy work with NTFS?
26
27 A:
28
29 When the live-CD boots up, Puppy looks for a vfat, ext2/3 or reiserfs
30 partition, in that order, and if found creates a 256M file on it,
31 named "pup001". This file is actually a complete ext2 filesystem, and
32 Puppy mounts this on /root, and it becomes your home folder and keeps
33 all your personal files and settings. This is a very safe technique
34 and is unlikely to mess up your hard drive as no partitions are being
35 created or modified, just a file created.
36
37 Anyway, this technique has a problem when it comes to NTFS. Linux
38 support for NTFS is not yet complete, and currently an NTFS partition
39 can be mounted read-only but not written (safely) to. When Puppy boots
40 up, if he can't find a vfat, ext2/3 or reiserfs partition, he gives up
41 and only uses the ramdisk.
42
43 HOWEVER, Puppy version 0.9.7+ does have limited NTFS write
44 support. That is, the Linux NTFS driver can safely write to a file if
45 it already exists, but cannot safely create or resize a file.
46
47 SOLUTION: bootup Windows XP, download pup001.zip from the Puppy download site, unzip it (and you will then have a single file called pup001) and move it to C:\ (the top-level in the C: drive). Now reboot the Puppy live-CD and Puppy will use the pre-existing pup001 file as your home data file. Simple!
49
50 Alexander, Do you know if the system described above is what ntfs-g3
51 does too?
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list