From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seamonkey automatic email download after switch to Oauth2
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 10:50:52
1 On Friday, 3 June 2022 12:15:53 BST spareproject776 wrote:
2
3 > How did you even enable the oauth thing ? only had security device or
4 > push to an authenticated device available. Then lied and forced enabling
5 > sms as a 'recovery' option.
6
7 When I enabled OAuth2 it was early days and Google did not ask for 2FA as a
8 prerequisite back then. All you had to provide, for account recovery, was
9 another email address. So I set up a second Google email address for this
10 purpose and cross referenced the two accounts. Some months thereafter Google
11 started asking for 2FA via SMS, before you could access the page to set up app
12 access. More recently they also started asking for DOB, "... for legal
13 purposes". Soon they will be asking for digital ID and a DNA test, or
14 whatever. :p
15
16 I noticed whenever I tried to login from a remote location Google would block
17 the mail client and also block webmail login if I tried to use a browser.
18 Evidently, geolocation/IP address was being used as a security check. To
19 acknowledge this was not an attempt by some remote and nefarious actor to
20 compromise my account, I had to connect to Google by tunneling via a VPN
21 connection to my home and from there to the Google webmail. After that I was
22 able to login remotely.
23
24 The question about privacy is a moot point. Privacy is often conflated with
25 identity and consequently with security. All a mail service provider *need*
26 to know is if the person trying to login is the same person who set up/owns
27 the account. A single or multiple challenge-response mechanism over an
28 encrypted network connection is enough to identify the owner of the account
29 via the credentials exchanged between client and server. No sharing of any
30 other private and personally identifiable information needs to be part of it.