From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: disaster recovery - planning
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 21:05:33
1 Am Tue, 21 Mar 2017 01:34:04 +0100
2 schrieb Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>:
3
4 > Am 21.03.2017 um 00:15 schrieb thelma@×××××××××××.com:
5 > > Besides standard "data" backup, if I was to plan for a disaster
6 > > recovery; what to include in a backup system if I was to rebuild a
7 > > new box?
8 > >
9 > > - /etc
10 > > - /var/lib/portage/world
11 > > - /usr/src/linux/.config
12 > > - /var/spool/fax/ (if needed)
13 > > - /var/www/localhost/htdocs/ (if needed)
14 > > - crontab (users and root)
15 > >
16 > > What else did I miss?
17 >
18 > /home (I guess that's what you mean with standard "data" backup)
19 > /usr/local
20 > /root
21 > /usr/share/fonts (if needed)
22 >
23 > Actually I would make a backup of the whole system excluding those
24 > directories:
25 >
26 > lost+found/
27 > /dev/
28 > /media/
29 > /mnt/ (depends)
30 > /proc/
31 > /run/
32 > /sys/
33 > /tmp/
34 > /var/export/
35 > /var/run/
36 > /home/*/.gvfs/
37
38 I'm using btrfs with subvolumes: Everything in one filesystem (I have
39 separate subvolumes for non-distribution related data, like /home,
40 or /var/log, /boot etc).
41
42 This makes backup easy: I simply mount the root subvolume which
43 contains everything under /mnt/btrfs-root and backup this. This
44 automatically excludes the various runtime mounts like /proc or tmpfs,
45 or net mounts. Plus, it preserves the static /dev delivered by the
46 rootfs deployment of your distribution (and also the various .keep
47 files for important mount points). Before backup, I also dump the
48 subvolume list to a text file.
49
50 You can get something different by bind-mounting your volumes into a
51 directory especially for crafting the backup. Just
52 make /mnt/system-backup and bind mount / and /home there (and other
53 system parts you exported to separate partitions). That way, runtime
54 and network mounts are not visible there and you get a perfect and
55 clean backup without the hassle of creating a pile of unmaintainable
56 and always incomplete (and maybe even error-prone) exclude lists. Then,
57 maybe dump your mounttab or fstab to the backup root before starting
58 the backup process. That way, you can more easily recreate your
59 partitions before you restore, and get back a working fstab without too
60 much thinking.
63 Regards,
64 Kai
65