From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage telling me what it's doing
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:45:08
1 Bryan Gardiner wrote:
2 > On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 02:06:44 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I use the command:
6 >>
7 >> genlop -c
8 >>
9 >> That tells what is compiling and some general time info too.
10 >
11 > +1 for genlop. Also, if you're upgrading a number of large packages,
12 > it can help to have an estimate of how long you'll be compiling:
13 >
14 > $ emerge -pNuD world | genlop -p
15 >
16 > Or you can use "emerge --quiet-build=y" if you'd like to hide all the
17 > build output and only have Portage display what the currently
18 > compiling package(s) are. You can still tail the build logs in
19 > /var/tmp/portage/*/*/build.log to watch what's going on.
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 > Bryan
27 If it is updates, I do this:
28
29 emerge --resume -p | genlop -p
30
31 That tells what is left time wise and is faster to since it is working
32 off the list already made. Then again, it seems genlop wasn't working
33 right the other day. I meant to check into that but forgot about it.
34 It seems, if I recall correctly, that if a package has not been compiled
35 before, it just spits out a error message. It used to spit out that
36 there was 'no info available for package foo' then just show the rest.
37 Now, it just pukes on the keyboard and dies.
38
39 Progress. It always breaks things. < sighs >
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
47 how you interpreted my words!
48
49 Miss the compile output? Hint:
50 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"