From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] best cflags and cpu for gentoo qemu virtual machine
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:20:58
1 On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 10:54, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > I'm creating a router based on Gentoo, that needs to run as a vm using
5 > qemu.
6 > The mother machine will be Core I7 4 cores.
7 > What cpu and CFLAGS should I use to get the best performance out of this
8 > vm?
11 If you intend to run this VM on different hardware or distribute it in any
12 way (so you don't really know on what hardware it will run) your best bet is
13 to set a generic arch like i686 or lower, OR hope the VM is run on software
14 based emulation (slow) so you don't have to worry about what CPU is running
15 it.
16
17 From my experience with qemu, you'll have a lot of requirements too, like
18 bridging and kernel module for virtual interfaces (tun/tap).
19
20 Now, if this will run on your machine, with kqemu, you'll set march on your
21 guest as your host is...
24 Daniel da Veiga