From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New HD monitor stretches everything. How to teach Xorg?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:25:50
1 On 25 August 2010 15:17, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I found the specs with Hsync and VSync limits, but they don't mention the
4 >> clock speed.  I guess I'll just have to fool with it until it works or
5 >> catches fire.
6 >
7 > That basically describes the way I've done my X monitor settings for
8 > the past 10 years or so. I just made up a bunch of numbers and hope
9 > they accidentally work. :) Now I'm thankful for EDID in monitors and
10 > smarter video drivers.
11
12 I think that if xrandr -q does not show the resolution you are
13 seeking, then the video card or driver in question cannot provide it.
14 I'm not sure that feeding xorg any odd modeline will change things,
15 plus unlike a CRT monitor, LCDs only provide a clear image at their
16 native resolution (denoted by '+' in the xrandr list of resolutions)
17 --
18 Regards,
19 Mick