From: Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Issues with >=x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.4: driver issue or hardware issue?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 08:14:06
1 On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Michael Scherer
2 <a6702894@××××××××××××××.at> wrote:
3 > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrey Moshbear" <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
4 > To: "gentoo-user" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
5 > Sent: Tuesday, 22 May, 2012 08:02
6 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Issues with >=x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.4:
7 > driver issue or hardware issue?
11 >> Lately, I've been having some issues with segfaults when running
12 >> startx and it's been pretty persistent.
13 >>
14 >> Xorg.0.log and emerge --info are available at
15 >> https://gist.github.com/2766926 .
16 >> Kernel config is available at https://gist.github.com/276943 .
17 >>
18 >> I've tried downgrading, but <=x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.2 fails
19 >> to compile due to incomplete structs.
20 >>
21 >> Is this more a driver or a hardware issue?
24 > first thing thing is your usage of ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64". with
25 > ~amd64 you globally
26 > allow all packages masked for amd64. unless you are a developer/tester for
27 > gentoo you should remove
28 > this keyword, because gentoo usually has good reasons to mask some packages.
29 > if for some reason you
30 > really need a masked package, you can do this easily only for that package.
31 > global unmasking alone might be the reason for half of your troubles.
32 >
33 > second, it is advisable to use kernel modesetting, which is obviously not
34 > enabled. gentoo has a detailed
35 > howto for this under http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml. this
36 > gives you all necessary details.
37 >
38 > just a quick shot for the moment. your kernel config doesn't under the link
39 > you give, I'd like to see that
40 > too, and maybe /etc/X11/xorg.conf or the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d,
41 > if you have any of these,
42 >
43 > regards, nichael
47 Well, I added radeon drm & modesetting and the kernel is crashing
48 right after the microcode is loaded, but without any signs of panic,
49 be it flashing keyboard lights or kernel backtrace with register
50 values.
51
52 Also, the segfault was caused by the DRI code interpreting a DRI
53 opcode as a pointer, hence 0xa4 or similar in the back trace.
56 m0shbear