From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Full battery laptop only 1 hour
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:43:01
1 Am Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 06:05:03PM +0200 schrieb Guillermo García:
2 > Hello guys,
3 >
4 > I bought a laptop and i got like 4 hours of batter life, everything ok,
5 > (using more than 1 vm, etc), however now in idle my laptop has only 1 hour
6 > of life, which is really annoying because its a brand new laptop bought one
7 > year before.
8 >
9 > Here is my upower -d in case its necessary:
10
11 If it’s an Intel laptop, check powertop. It will tell you all sorts of
12 causes for power usage, including interrupts, display, different chips,
13 their sleep states and so on. Also check whether your CPU can reach the
14 deepest C-state available. I’m not sure how much the tool helps on an AMD
15 system, since I don’t have one yet.
16
17 Anecdote: when I bought my passively cooled mini-PC with an Intel N5100, it
18 drew 10 W from the socket. I was a bit disappointed, because I knew it could
19 do less. Powertop told me that it remained at C3 and did not enter C6. I
20 checked for a BIOS upgrade and – sure enough – there was one and the
21 changelog said something about C states. After the upgrade, C6 was available
22 and power draw decreased to 6..7 W.
25 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
26 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
27
28 A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.