From: kwkhui@××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:26:30
1 On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 06:52:20 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Well, I installed grub to the second drives MBR. I even changed the
5 > BIOS to see that drive as the main or first drive. It still boots the
6 > old drive. I looked in dmesg and saw where it is supposed to point to
7 > the tmp drive and it still boots the old drive even tho it is told
8 > not to.
9 >
10 > Let's see, boot a CD, just do a reinstall from scratch and call it a
11 > day. This is ridiculous when you can't tell a boot loader to boot the
12 > second drive and it actually do it. Heaven forbid if I had two Linux
13 > OSs on here.
14 >
15 > :-) :-)
18 It sounds like GRUB made the MBR on /dev/sdb to use /dev/sda1 as its
19 root, so maybe something like
20
21 # grub --no-floppy
22 grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
23 (hd0,0)
24 (hd1,0)
25
26 Then making GRUB install on /dev/sda pointing to /dev/sda1
27
28 grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
29 grub> root (hd0,0)
30 grub> setup (hd0)
33 and now install on /dev/sdb pointing to /dev/sdb1
34
35 grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
36 grub> root (hd0,0)
37 grub> setup (hd0)
38
39 Then you can quit GRUB by issuing
40
41 grub> quit
42
43 The point being that once you put in the line "device (hd0) /dev/sdb",
44 GRUB will *think* that (hd0) refers to the disk /dev/sdb, so the next
45 command "root (hd0,0)" just means the first partition on this disk
46 will serve as /boot, rather than (hd1,0) which points to 1st partition
47 on the *other* disk, which is possibly where GRUB got confused.
48
49 Kerwin.