From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: joost@××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:24:27
1 On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:54:55 +0100
2 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, February 16, 2014 22:16, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 > > On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
6 > > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > >> oh? I can pipe that output into cat or any any daemon I like?
8 > >> Doesn't look like so.
9 > >
10 > > But it does, you can "cat" with journalctl; it's one of its output
13 > > -o, --output=
14 > > cat
15 > > generates a very terse output only showing the actual
16 > > message of each journal entry with no meta data, not even a
17 > > timestamp.
18 >
19 > As I do not have systemd installed on any machine, I can't check the
20 > man-pages.
21
22 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/man
23
24 > But, if that is the only method to get parseable text from journalctl,
25 > then that is less then useless.
26
27 Why? There are other output methods. See the man pages...
28
29 > I would expect an export option providing the same detail level as I
30 > currently find in /var/log/messages.
31
32 That's what you can control with the various options of -o.
33
34 > A timestamp is a minimum required for logging system output.
35
36 Depends on how you are processing that output.
39 With kind regards,
40
41 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
42 Gentoo Developer
43
44 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
45 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
46 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D