From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} reverse DNS problem?
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 07:30:24
1 On Sunday 06 September 2009 02:16:23 Stroller wrote:
2 > > Why hasn't greylisting been mentioned? I greylist and it ends up
3 > > blocking at least 99% of spam in my experience.
4 >
5 > There are some disadvantages to greylisting mentioned here:
6 >
7 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting#Disadvantages
8 >
9 > I think there may be an issue whereby if greylisting is widely
10 > implemented & deployed against zombies then the zombies will just be
11 > written to be RFC-compliant. :(
14 greylisting currently works quite well. As with all things where you try to
15 block someone who'd like to not be blocked, there are trade offs between cost,
16 effort and effectiveness. Right now, greylisting still gives a decent bang for
17 the buck.
18
19 Eventually the zombies will be RFC compliant. Spam authors are somewhat slow
20 to catch on but someone will write such a bot and the script kiddy spammers
21 will use it. Then we'll counter with something else and the merry go round
22 continues.
23
24 The basic problem is that SMTP is fundamentally broken and cannot be fixed
25 when abused. It is also fundamentally almost perfect and does not need
26 tweaking when used <sigh>
27
28 These two things are irreconcilable.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com