From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best whois client?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:57:35
1 On 03/26/2013 01:54 PM, Stroller wrote:
2 > Searching portage, I find there are quite a number of alternative whois clients.
3 >
4 > I think I have always used net-misc/whois in the past I now notice that a BSD whois is available, a "generic" and an advanced jwhois.
5 >
6 > Presumably there are some differences between the functionality provided by these packages, can anyone tell me which is the "best", please?
7 >
8 > I use whois a lot for looking up the abuse address of a host, by IP address. Primarily I'd like to get up-to-date and useful results from something `whois 1.2.3.4 | grep -i abuse`.
9 >
10 > TIA for any help,
11 >
12 > Stroller.
16 FWIW, I'm using jwhois. I don't remember why I settled on that one over
17 a different whois client, though.