From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: SSH won't restart
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:49:01
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:56:16 -0300 "Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman"
4 <buanzo@××××××××××.ar> wrote:
5
6 > > So I would definately prefer to always have a guaranteed working
7 > > sshd running (I find OpenVPN/telnet a bit strange and an unnecessary
8 > > potential security hole).
9 >
10 > If running permanently, then I agree, but I do not see the potential
11 > security hole if using a correctly designed/configured tunnel.
12
13 I just prefer manual "opening" of access means above manual "securing"
14 them. It's just about what happens if you fail -- when the task was
15 securing, you might have a security leak, but if it was openiung
16 access, it is still secured. It's relatively moot, since opening access
17 is also often error prone in the sense of "opening to much". I think
18 it's personal taste :-)
19
20 > > session. So you have to weight the risks. The real problem, however,
21 > > can only be overcome by another way to login. Firing up another
22 > > instance of sshd (on a different port) is just a matter of one
23 > > simple command, so I definately prefer that.
24 >
25 > As long as there is no issue with the sshd binary, of course :)
26
27 Yeah, but in that case you'd know it at that point, and it caused no
28 other harm than preventing you to setting up that fallback sshd. You
29 can then still fix it (or set up OpenVPN/telnet ;-)) using the old sshd
30 that's still listening. Just remember not to do a "killall sshd".
31
32 -hwh
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list