From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Securely deletion of an HDD
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 17:20:40
1 Am Mon, 13 Jul 2015 15:03:10 +0000 (UTC)
2 schrieb Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>:
3
4 > On 2015-07-12, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 > > With regards to the other replies: I think physical destruction is
7 > > unnecessary, and I don't really want to go through the trouble.
8 >
9 > If it's "trouble" rather than "fun", then you're doing it wrong. :)
10
11 OK, you have a point ;-) .
12
13 > There's thermite:
14 >
15 > http://hackaday.com/2008/09/16/how-to-thermite-based-hard-drive-anti-forensic-destruction/
16 >
17 > And mechanical shredding:
18 >
19 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZdZGKyu9hc
20 >
21 > Others favor a high-powered rifle or an 8lb sledge.
22
23 That does look fun! However, I meant along the lines of destroying the disk
24 surface, because I want to give the HDDs away for recycling (a computer chain I
25 occasionally buy from collects old hardware for this purpose). Good for the
26 environment and all that :-) .
29 Marc Joliet
30 --
31 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
32 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup