From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mysterious syslog message "."
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:28:16
1 Hi.
2
3 So NetworkManager was giving me lots of debugging output. Having a look
4 on Google shows it doesn't have log levels, so my only option (apart
5 from turning it off) was to redirect its log output to a separate file.
6 It's growing quickly (remind me to set up logrotate!)
7
8 After I've removed NetworkManager from /var/log/messages, I'm left with:
9 Jan 29 23:45:59 orpheus .:
10 Jan 29 23:46:05 orpheus .:
11 Jan 29 23:46:11 orpheus .:
12 Jan 29 23:46:17 orpheus .:
13 Jan 29 23:46:23 orpheus .:
14 Jan 29 23:46:29 orpheus .:
15
16 and so on every 6 seconds. I think the "." is supposed to be the
17 program name, and obviously after the ":" comes the message "".
18
19 Every message seems to exactly correspond to this NetworkManager
20 message:
21 Jan 29 23:48:17 orpheus NetworkManager: <WARN> killswitch_getpower_reply(): Error getting killswitch power: Method "GetPower" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KillSwitch" doesn't exist
22 Jan 29 23:48:17 orpheus NetworkManager: <WARN> killswitch_getpower_reply(): Error getting killswitch power: dellWirelessCtl (/usr/bin/dellWirelessCtl) not available or executable.
23
24 Note the reference to /usr/bin/dellWirelessCtl (which really doesn't
25 exist!) If I symlink /usr/bin/dellWirelessCtl to /bin/false, all the
26 log messages stop and the last one says:
27
28 Jan 29 23:49:35 orpheus NetworkManager: <info> Wireless now disabled by radio killswitch
29
30 If I leave the symlink there, NetworkManager won't bring up wireless, so
31 it's a useless "hack".
32
33 I don't really care about any killswitch operation, but I'm interested
34 in why I'm getting a "." message. NetworkManager bug or
35 misconfiguration error?
36
37 TIA,
41 I do not know myself and God forbid that I should.
42 -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe