From: "Crístian Viana" <cristiandeives@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: flags on a minimalist server
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 17:37:11
1 hi James,
2
3 Where can I read up on the flags in some detail?
6 you can read it online at:
7
8 http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
9
10 this page lists the global USE flags and the local USE flags.
11
12 you can also read information about USE flags using the program "equery"
13 (which, by the way, is in the gentoolkit package :P):
14
15 $ equery u python
16
17 it lists the USE flags of that package with a description, and if you have
18 it enabled or not for that package.
19
20 if you want to go a bit further, you can read the ebuild file (
21 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/dev-lang/python/python-2.6.2-r1.ebuild?view=markup)
22 and see what it does when the USE flag "threads" is enabled. the python
23 ebuild only passes that information to the Python configure script
24 (--with-threads), so you should read in Python documentation why threads
25 support is so important (or not).
26
27 Is this a good idea or bad idea to leave the "-threads" flag unset
28 > in rebuilding python or any other package on this mostly iptables firewall?
31 according to the "Local USE flags" webpage:
32 python | threads: Enable threading support (DON'T DISABLE THIS UNLESS YOU
33 KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING)
34
35 it's better to keep it enabled =)
36