From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ehci-pci resume error What is this?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 16:32:35
1 On Sunday, 10 July 2022 16:34:08 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I ran into a odd problem. I'm not sure of the cause. I was trying to
5 > get pictures off my deer trail cameras when I noticed it. I don't know
6 > if that is related or not. This is the error. Including a little over
7 > a second's worth so you can see how fast it is generating these entries
8 > in messages.
11 > root@fireball / # tail -f /var/log/messages
12 > Jul 10 10:17:21 fireball kernel: ehci-pci 0000:00:12.2: port 3 resume
13 > error -110
14 [snip ...]
17 > I did my usual updates the other day but not real sure how long this has
18 > been going on but log rotate seems to have been busy. The only way I
19 > found to stop it, stop the syslog service. I did go to boot runlevel
20 > and restart udev and other device related services. As soon as syslog
21 > starts up, it starts posting that error in messages. Also, I'm using
22 > the same kernel for several months with no problems. I'm on
23 > 5.14.15-gentoo with a uptime of over 4 months. Based on log rotation,
24 > I'd say this started about the time I did my updates in the last couple
25 > days. Give or take. Can't recall command to get last weeks worth of
26 > updates. Brain freeze.
27 >
28 > I tried google and found nothing helpful. Anyone have a idea what this
29 > is all about? Any clues?
30 >
31 > Thanks.
32 >
33 > Dale
34 >
36
37 dmesg ought to show a similar error. The kernel is trying to read whatever is
38 hanging off your ehci-pci port 3 and it times out. The error message means
39 "Timeout expired before the transfer completed". It could be a problematic
40 device controller, or power demands of the device exceed what the MoBo
41 supplies.
42
43 I've seen the same on USB 3.0 sticks which failed soon after, so you may want
44 to back up your data in the first instance.