From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:14:06
1 I got KDE 4.2.1 installed with only a couple of bugs along the way.
2 I'm not impressed: there's some eye-candy, but usability is reduced.
3 There's a very limited choice of desktop backgrounds:
4 I like the 'No picture, pavement' choice in 3.5.10 with different colors,
5 but there's nothing similar in 4.2.1 .
6 I did something unexpected & froze a new panel -- 1 CPU at 100 % --
7 & managed to get back to "normal" only by deleting ~/.kde4/share .
8 Dolphin is pathetic compared with Thunar, let alone Krusader
9 (I've never tried Konqueror as a file manager).
10 I can't try the new Gwenview, as some of the new files clash with the old
11 & I'm certainly not unmerging the KDE 3 version.
12
13 I've gone back to 3.5.10 more or less, but am stuck with 4.2.1's desktop:
14 the background, R-click menu & 4.2.1 panel are still there & working
15 (no, trying to change it with the 3.5.10 CC has no effect).
16 Can anyone suggest what I have to delete to get all of 3.5.10 restored ?
17
18 I have a lot of respect for KDE developers over the past few years,
19 but they've badly underestimated the size of their task for KDE 4 .
20
21 Perhaps I should try Xfce 4.6 with some KDE 4 apps ... (smile)
25 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
26 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
27 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca