From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub broke out of the blue
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:43:29
1 On Tuesday 17 February 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > One thing that could be at fault is that I had grub installed into hd0,2
4 > (sda3) which is an ext4 partition.
5
6 I think that this is probably the cause. GRUB has these stage 1.5 fs related
7 files:
8
9 `e2fs_stage1_5'
10 `fat_stage1_5'
11 `ffs_stage1_5'
12 `jfs_stage1_5'
13 `minix_stage1_5'
14 `reiserfs_stage1_5'
15 `vstafs_stage1_5'
16 `xfs_stage1_5'
17
18 > /boot is sda4 and is ext3. But I'm
19 > sure grub should work no matter where you install it. I can even
20 > install it on sda1 which is NTFS and it works. Hell, I can even install
21 > it on the swap partition.
22
23 I think you are mixing stage 1 and stage 2 GRUB images? Stage 1 is installed
24 in MBR or any partition's boot sector. No knowledge of fs is required for
25 that to be accessed (by BIOS or a chainloader) and JUMPTO deals with that.
26 The 1.5 images on the other hand are used to read the fs in which GRUB's
27 stage 2 is installed. That's far too large to fit into a boot sector. I
28 doubt that GRUB's e2fs_stage1_5 can read ext4, but I don't know really - a
29 question for GRUB's mailing list?
30
31 > I guess the reason it broke will remain a mystery :P
34 Regards,
35 Mick