From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compatibility with Kernel 2.6.9
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:43:38
1 On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:19:13 +0200
2 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > >
6 > > You mentioned elsewhere in the thread "web server"
7 > >
8 > > If that's the case, I'd be telling the hosting provider that 2004 called and
9 > > they want their minutes back. Then I'd be looking for a different hosting
10 > > provider.
11 >
12 > If indeed they're running off 2004 software, I would be interested to
13 > know how many times people are defacing (or worse) sites hosted there :P
14
15 If the server itself is http-backend (with ssh forwarded, too), located
16 in dmz, what's the big deal?
17
18 You can have latest and fairly secure apache/lighttpd/nginx/whatever
19 out there, and, provided there are no holes in your scripts, the setup
20 should be fairly secure.
21 And that's probably most used line-of-defence on any web, since there's
22 nothing more important for webserver than scripts - if you have www, you
23 pretty much have it all.
26 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net