From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] acroread woes
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:30:51
1 Howdy,
2
3 I have acroread 9.5.5 installed. It is set as the default pdf
4 reader for both seamoney and firefox. I mostly use seamonkey, because
5 it allows for page/font sizing on the fly, via the mouse wheel (middle
6 button on my logitech mouse). I'd use firefox more, if I could figure
7 out dynamic font size adjustments, via the mouse wheel under firebox.
8 Maybe an addon does this? Scrolling fonts sizes is quinessentially important
9 to old eyes, imho.
10
11 On seamonkey, when I follow a web link to a pdf, I just get a black page on
12 my browser. Under firefox, I get the pdf to open up to be read,
13 but can only print postscript files, unless I go to the
14 adobe web site; which is not an option for me.
15
16 I'm looking for a long term solution that easily allows both
17 viewing and download of the pdf file; that's how acroread use
18 to work. Googling yeilds a myriad of choices and viewpoints, but
19 I've not found any solutions I'm happy with.
20
21 I'm running simple LXDE (soon to be lxqt5 now, so I do not want a hugely
22 bloated collection of applications, just a simple viewer/download capability
23 of pdf files.
24
25 I also run "noscript" on my browsers now (very cool!). I do not consider it
26 a problem, when I have to click a button or 2 to allow something
27 that noscript has identified and filtered as a possilbe point
28 of caution. I like noscript and have little desire to permanently
29 disable it, so suggestions must work reasonable well with noscript too.
30
31 I've tried MuPDF, but it is a bit spartan and does not (at least
32 from what I've experienced) allow for simple downloading of the pdf.
33
34 Guidance, discussion and suggestions are most welcome!
35 Maybe another browser will make me happy?
36
37 James