From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] <OT>: virtual Windows solution...
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:18:06
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 7/13/06, Jarry <jarry@×××.net> wrote:
3 >> - to use "Windows emulator" aka Wine (I know, it is NOT emulator)
4 >> - or to use "PC emulator" + Windows installed (like VMware) ???
5 >
6 > IME wine still has a lot of stabilty and compatibility issues, at
7 > least for the things software I need to run. But it get's better all
8 > the time, so you should try it. Be sure to use the ~arch version, and
9 > you will get new versions of wine within a day or so of them being
10 > released. One caveat: there have been problems getting wine to build
11 > on the x86_64 hosts.
12 >
13 > PC virtualization software (qemu+kqemu, vmware) with windows installed
14 > gives you by far the best compatibility and of those, I find vmware to
15 > be the most complete solution. I highly recommend this! One
16 > possibility here is to use a trial version of workstation to create
17 > your virtual machine, and then use the free vmware-player to run it.
18 >
19 > The only really serious problem I've had with vmware is that it has
20 > trouble keeping track of time on some systems (laptops). There are
21 > (ugly) workarounds for this, so let me know if you run into this.
22 >
23 > -Richard
24
25 I absolutely agree! I was going to write the same but Mr. Richard Fish
26 was faster! ;-)
27 Additionally known to me there are
28 *CrossOver office*
29 commercial product,
30 site http://www.codeweavers.com/ )
31 and
32 *Cedega*
33 commercial product, site: http://www.transgaming.com/
34
35 AFAIK both of these are based on wine, but they are specialized
36 respectively in running (MS) Office applications and games.
37
38
39 The solution with the trial version & the free player of vmware is just
40 great! It never occurred to me so I'm using qemu. No doubt VMWare is the
41 best but it costs (much) money.
42
43 --
44 Best regards,