From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Buying a low-cost printer for Linux
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 19:23:16
1 On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2008-12-05, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I've had an HP LaserJet 1200 for about 4-5 years now. I only
5 >>> print once or twice a month, and I've never had a single
6 >>> problem. It's still on the original toner cartridge, and I
7 >>> don't think I've even got through an entire ream of paper yet.
8 >
9 > [...]
10 >
11 >> And my Kyocera FS1020D is similarly lightly loaded with no ill effects.
12 >> Comes with its own .ppd file and does double-sided out of the box. Best
13 >> printer I've had for years.
14 >
15 > I forgot to mention that before the LaserJet, I had a B/W Canon
16 > bubble-jet. It too was only used once or twice a month, and I
17 > don't think I ever got more than a few pages per ink cartridge
18 > using the Canon. The cartridges would clog up and stop working
19 > while still 99% full.
20 >
21 > --
22 > Grant Edwards
23
24 Hi all,
25 After reading through this thread again, doing some online study
26 and sending my dad out to find out what he could buy locally he found
27 Sam's Club has this HP Color LaserJet for $280 which has specs that
28 look pretty good to me:
29
30 http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/18972-18972-3328060-15077-3328070-3422465.html
31
32 Main items:
33
34 Recommended monthly print volume
35 250 to 1,000 pages
36
37 Cartridges
38 4 (1 each black, cyan, magenta, yellow)
39
40 Print languages, standard
41 HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5c, HP postscript level 3 emulation, Hybrid print path
42
43 Memory, standard
44 96 MB
45 Memory, maximum
46 352 MB
47
48 Power consumption
49 ENERGY STAR(R) qualified
50
51 I get different info at different sites about the interfaces.
52 Apparently the ni version has the network interface also. I've never
53 set up a printer for Cups that only had a network connection. I guess
54 that's not impossible, right?
55
56 Anyway, do these specs look reasonable to others? I MUST have
57 good/excellent driver support. The printer is located 350 miles away.
58 My 80 year old dad has to buy it, unpack it, set it up and plug it in
59 before I can do anything. Would others think this is a reasonable
60 printer to try and do this with? His Epson inkjet has died and he
61 wants printing this weekend if possible. He has no problems with the
62 price.
63
64 It's listed as working perfectly in Linuxprinters.org's database:
65
66 http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-Color_LaserJet_CP1518ni
67
68 Thanks,