From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: IRC active time?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:54:17
1 On Thursday, 28 July 2011 13:33:22 walt did opine thusly:
2 > On 07/27/2011 10:19 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:23 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> On 07/26/2011 06:07 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
5 > >>> Anyone here knows at what time the Gentoo IRC channels are
6 > >>> usually active?
7 > >>>
8 > >>> In UTC, if possible :)
9 > >>>
10 > >>> (Still can't wrap my head around USA time zone codes)
11 > >>
12 > >> I'd like to commission a survey of, say, MS, google, and
13 > >> Oracle, to see who is wearing a wrist-watch, and who isn't --
14 > >> and then sort them by job description.
15 > >>
16 > >> I predict that the ones with no wrist-watch are the one who
17 > >> are....well, I'll wait for the survey to be done before I
18 > >> announce my prediction.>
19 > > /me wonders where you are going with this...
20 >
21 > Downhill fast, probably :) Back in the day before cellphones, you
22 > needed to look a clock or wrist-watch to know what time it is.
23 >
24 > Back then I was surrounded by genuine programmer geeks, and I
25 > noticed that none of them wore a wrist-watch. I asked one of the
26 > geeks why he didn't have a watch and he replied "Why would I want
27 > to know what time it is? I can tell what time it is by how fast
28 > the mainframe responds when I hit carriage return."
29 >
30 > Another one showed up on most days wearing mis-matched socks. When
31 > asked why he did this he replied, "Why? Does it matter?"
32 >
33 > Well, I still can't answer his question...
34
35 I've got a bunch of those of my own :-)
36
37 Q: Alan, why do you wear those great big motorcycle boots and
38 protective trousers all day in the office, even to meetings?
39 A: It's cold.
40
41 Q: What are your working hours?
42 A: 12 per day on average. No guarantees on *which* 12
43
44 Q: Holy shit, I can't believe you just sent that mail to ALL users.
45 Legal will be all over us now having hissy fits. Have you got a god
46 complex or something????
47 A: [beams with genuine pride] why, thank you!
50 I reckon my head is just wired different to most folks <shrug>
54 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com