From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: On what to base a custom live CD?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:11:10
1 On 2010-11-25, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:02:10 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> I thought about using a customized systemrescuecd, but that takes ages
5 >> to boot (almost 5 minutes). This CD is intended as something a
6 >> customer can run to do a quick hardware test, and making them sit
7 >> there for 5 minutes to see a 5-second test just isn't going to fly.
8 >
9 > It it actually booting all that time, or is it waiting for user input? I
10 > doesn't take anything like that long to boot on my netbook, but I have
11 > modified the USB install to set a keymap choice and a couple of other
12 > options.
13
14 AFAICT, it's booting that whole time. I picked the initial isolinux
15 menu entry that selects the US keymap, so there is no user input until
16 it gets to the bash prompt. That time is booting on a qemu VM (but so
17 is the ~10 seconds for the other CD I'm comparing to).
18
19 I've since done a little testing with a Thinkpad T510, and the
20 difference between the two CDs isn't nearly as much (maybe 5X instead
21 of 30X).
22
23 Since I don't need much in the way of resources (no networking or
24 hard-drive acess) I've been thinking about ditching the squashfs stuff
25 completely and just putting everything I need in the initrd image.
26
27 That way I can disable the both the networking and IDE/PATA/SATA/SCSI
28 support in the kernel. That ought to speed up the boot time
29 considerably.
30
31 >> Does anybody have an recommendations for a good way to build a small
32 >> liveCD with a custom kernel module?
33 >
34 > Have you looked at Tiny Core Linux; 10MB, fast to boot and extensible.
35
36 I've been doing some looking around, and that's now on my short list.
39 Grant