From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What xorg pkgs needed for X to work
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:16:54
1 On Friday 15 January 2010 20:43:32 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > [Please excuse if this is a double whammy... it appears not to have
3 > made it to the mail/news server]
4 >
5 > Sorry for the awkwardly phrased subject... but couldn't think of
6 > anything better.
7 >
8 > I'm rebuilding my home desktop with a full reinstall
9 >
10 > So far haven't gotten to getting X working... but did notice that when
11 > I test what all gets installed with:
12 >
13 > emerge -vp xfce4-meta
14 >
15 > I notice that xorg-x11 is not amongst the... dependencies.
16 >
17 > xorg-server is absent as well, but I seem to recall a more basic xorg
18 > pkgs being involved. Maybe something like xorg-base... or whatever.
19 >
20 > Apparently something has happened with naming of pkgs or something,
21 > that I haven't kept up with.
22 >
23 > But can a user really get use out of xfce4-meta with no xorg-server?
24
25 Yes.
26
27 This is how X11 works. xfce does not need a full blown xserver on the *local*
28 machine, it simply needs X libs to function. The X libs in turn will talk to
29 the xserver, which does not have to be on the local machine.
30
31 Parallel situation: You do not need X and a browser on a machine running a web
32 server, as the pages served are not necessarily viewed on the machine hosting
33 apache.
34
35 To get X you can either;
36
37 merge xorg-x11 (this is the "meta" package you didn't know the name of) or
38 put "X" in USE
39
40 Note carefully that this is not a silly situation, it works this way by
41 design.
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com