From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I can't understand an emerge error. Help, please!
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 07:49:41
1 Hi, Alan.
2
3 On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:11:48PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > Apparently, though unproven, at 22:21 on Monday 18 April 2011, Alan Mackenzie
5 > did opine thusly:
6
7 > > > These are the items that require libgcrypt with static-libs USE
8 > > > flag set. Sometimes changing USE flags on thse packages will
9 > > > change the dependency requirements. Sometimes it's just something
10 > > > new that the maintainer added since a previous version.
11
12 > > OK. I was getting confused by "dependency required", which sounds
13 > > tautological. What it seems to mean is "package required".
14
15 > It really does mean exactly what it says. Look at it again:
16
17 > (dependency required by "sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.1.3-r3[-dynamic]" [ebuild])
18
19 > It's saying there is a dependency, and the package that requires it is
20 > cryptsetup. Read it like this::
21
22 OK, I think I've got it now. What was confusing me is that in ordinary
23 English, a "dependency" is a relationship, but in emerge it's a thing.
24 Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.
25
26 > (dependency, required by ..... )
27
28 > --