From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:10:37
1 >> Is the Gentoo Software RAID + LVM guide the best place for RAID
2 >> install info if I'm not using LVM and I'll have a hardware RAID
3 >> controller?
4 >
5 > Not ready to take the ZFS plunge? That would greatly reduce the complexity
6 > of RAID+LVM, since ZFS best practice is to set your hardware raid controller
7 > to JBOD mode and let ZFS take care of the RAID - and no LVM required (ZFS
8 > has mucho better tools). That is my next big project for when I switch to my
9 > next new server.
10 >
11 > I'm just hoping I can get comfortable with a process for getting ZFS
12 > compiled into the kernel that is workable/tenable for ongoing kernel updates
13 > (with minimal fear of breaking things due to a complex/fragile
14 > methodology)...
15
16 That sounds interesting. I don't think I'm up to it this time around,
17 but ZFS manages a RAID array better than a good hardware card?
18
19 It sounds like ZFS isn't included in the mainline kernel. Is it on its way in?
20
21 - Grant