From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] And so the emerge spake: Let there be conflicts...and see, everything was chaos and sin...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 17:18:01
1 On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 15:49:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > Running without -v doesn't help. I almost never use -v with emerge,
4 > > it's output is verbose enough as it is and burying useful messages in
5 > > even more trivial, not-for-users output makes decoding it even harder.
6 > >
7 > > emerge really needs an option to hide such "informational"
8 > > messages.
9 >
10 > I disagree. emerge really needs to have it's output redesigned from
11 > scratch. Right now it arrives at the conclusion (the top) and dumps it's
12 > data tree bottom-up, apparently stopping halfway and never getting to
13 > output what the top is.
14
15 Well ,yes. But it also needs an option to hide QA and trivial info
16 messages. Having the same message pop up every time I run emerge,
17 because of a package I know I masked is annoying enough, but the
18 confusion it causes to many users is far more annoying.
19
20 Yes, I agree it needs a full overhaul of the way it communicates what is
21 happening.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 A Smith & Wesson beats Four Aces everytime.