From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] How to be a penguin.
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 05:31:51
1 On Monday, May 30, 2016 08:48:46 PM Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > Have you read the emerge and portage man pages anytime in the last five
4 > > years?
5 >
6 > I tried to extract useful information from the emerge manpage a few days
7 > ago but it contained no useful information, manpages are written in
8 > moonspeak anyway.
9
10 Then I must be fluent in moonspeak without ever hearing about that language.
11 I find the emerge manpage one of the better manpages around.
12
13 > I thought portage was just the file database, it
14 > seems to be working perfectly so therefore I have no motive to try to
15 > get any more information about it. I tried to find an on-line wiki about
16 > emerge because that's how shit is documented in the 21st century but
17 > couldn't. I wish I could remember where I got the documentation I needed
18 > to configure the features list I'm using, it's been ages since I've
19 > messed with it...
20
21 Occasionally there is a problem with a new feature. That gets fixed and
22 everyone is happily using it. By disabling features you haven't got an
23 understanding off and don't even bother to check if it's fixed, you are
24 literally shooting yourself in the foot.
25
26 Why not pick either of the 2 advices people have given you here and grow up.
27 To make it easier, here are the 2 options:
28 1) Start using MS Windows as it's designed for people like you who refuse to
29 learn new things
30 2) Actually learn how to use a computer
33 Joost
38 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=1 --quiet-build=n --verbose"
39 >
40 > FEATURES="sandbox distlocks nostrip parallel-fetch userfetch userpriv
41 > usersandbox splitdebug
42 > -preserve-libs"
43 >