From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Permissions error on starting X.
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 14:46:37
1 On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 10:01 AM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
4 > If you start your X server from the command line with, e.g. startx, you
5 > now need to set the new(?) suid USE flag for the xorg-server package.
8 Sometimes. I thought this was only required if you're not using KMS.
9 Is this not the case?
10
11 The argument for defaulting it is that you had to both be using a
12 non-KMS driver, and you had to be running from the command line. That
13 is a somewhat uncommon situation.
14
15 > The developers, in this instance, failed to raise the ebuild's version
16 > number from 1.20.3 when making this change, and also didn't notify users
17 > by a NEWS item, that I can see.
18
19 A news item would probably have been a good idea (it almost always
20 is). I'm not sure why the ebuild wasn't revisioned. As far as I can
21 tell this change does change what gets installed on-disk, and as a
22 result it is almost always appropriate to revision the ebuild (in this
23 case to -r1). The only sorts of changes that generally don't justify
24 revisioning would be fixes to build systems that don't actually impact
25 what gets installed (assuming the old version built at all), and which
26 don't change any dependencies. In that case there isn't really a
27 benefit to users to do a rebuild, since the new build will be
28 identical to the old.
29
30 > So - if you get a permissions error whilst trying to start X, setting
31 > the suid USE flag may well be the solution.
32
33 Yup.
36 Rich