From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: lxde no Desktop Preferences can be set
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 23:54:48
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 00:27:47 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 >> LXDE on the menu item Preferences ===> Desktop Preferences
6 >> Nothing can be set there and it does not even show a dialog
7 >> box... just an error messages that says:
8 >>
9 >> Desktop manager is not active
10 >>
11 >> All the lxde-base pkgs contained in lxde-meta are installed.
12 >>
13 >> Openbox wm is installed.
14 >>
15 >> Anyone know what that error message means or how to get around or fix
16 >> it?
17 >
18 > You're missing an essential package. Install lxde-meta to make sure you
19 > get it. Once working, you can remove unnecessary packages later.
20
21 That sounded like a plan until I actually tried to re-install
22 lxde-meta.
23
24 I found no way to make emerge do that. I thought by adding such
25 things as --deep --newuse --changed-use it would cause a reinstall
26
27 But emerge just closes and tells me nothing is outated in lxde-meta
28
29 Example:
30 # emerge --deep --newuse --changed-use -v lxde-meta
31
32 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
33
34 Calculating dependencies... done!
35
36 Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB
37
38 And that is also with bdeps=y from my make.conf
39
40 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps=y"
41
42 After browsing thru `man emerge' a couple of times It appears there is
43 not some kind of `force' flag.
44
45 Is there some combination of switches that will cause emerge to
46 re-install lxde-meta? Or baring that I thought I'd try emerging
47 individual pkgs... but there not exactly easy to find ebuilds of.. I
48 still haven't
49
50 Also ran into a wall trying to use the regular tools like qlist to
51 determine what is in there. I found the list after search a while on
52 google but I'm curious why `qlist' doesn't list off
53 what is in there, like it does in all other cases.