From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My Continuing ALSA Woes
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:51:51
1 Michael Sullivan schreef:
2 > On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 17:13 +0200, Sascha Lucas wrote:
3
4 >> you only need an initrd if you have some special hardware. Do you?
5 >> I.E. sata controler (intel ICH6), SCSI, or some special things with
6 >> your root filesystem like lvm, md...
7 >
8 > Then why does Linux not continue to boot when I specify a kernel in
9 > grub.conf without an initrd?
10
11 Because you still need one specified in grub.conf? Genkernel makes one
12 by default, so it must be specified in grub.conf. If you build a kernel
13 by hand, you most likely don't have an initrd (unless you're using one
14 for gensplash), so it need not be specified (unless needed for gensplash).
15
16 Holly
17 --
18 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list