From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] mpv upgrade warning
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 13:03:48
1 On 20/09/2015 14:45, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 20 September 2015 10:19:14 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:34:57 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >>>>> Strictly speaking, you don't have to do that with UUIDs as you can
5 >>>>> change it to match the old one. That big advantage of labels is that
6 >>>>> they are human-readable.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Well I can read UUIDs, they are hex gibberish but still readable.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Labels are human *understandable*
11 >>>
12 >>> Well, it isn't often I can call someone else a pedant, but now's my big
13 >>> chance so I'm taking it - pedant!
14 >>
15 >> One of the OED definitions of readable is "interesting or pleasant to
16 >> read". I stand by my original statement, argumentative pedants
17 >> notwithstanding. :P
18 >
19 > I agree with you. It's Alan I called a pedant for trying to split hairs.
20
21 I guess that's what I get for trying to be excessively clever!
26 > I had a trial version of OED* on my mobile, but it was not good so I've
27 > reverted to Chambers, which includes "legible" as its first definition of
28 > Readable, and "clear enough to be deciphered" as its first definition of
29 > Legible.
30 >
31 > * Actually I think it was the ODE (the Oxford Dictionary of English), which
32 > has been criticised widely and is not their best dictionary.
37 Alan McKinnon
38 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com