From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fbsplash
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:50:17
1 On Thursday 23 June 2011 17:28:15 Dale did opine thusly:
2 > John wrote:
3 > > Since upgrading my kernel to .39 my beloved splash screen has
4 > > stopped working. I have followed guidelines in wiki that
5 > > someone has very kindly written. Reverting back to older kernel
6 > > the splash screen works as expected. I've tried this on 2
7 > > machines. I have seen somewhere that a patch is added to kernel
8 > > to help this. Is this included in .39?
9 > >
10 > > I believe the issue maybe due to /sbin/fbcondecor_helper in
11 > > initrd but not really too sure. My debugging skills are lacking
12 > > somewhat.
13 > >
14 > > Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone offer an
15 > > alternative method for producing splash.
16 > >
17 > > I am currently using vesafb and splash_geninitramfs to create
18 > > splash screens?
19 >
20 > I have noticed that people seem to have various issues with .39.
21 > Maybe roll back to a older kernel and give it a few versions to get
22 > some fixes in. I had X issues, someone else had some network issue
23 > and someone else has some other odd issue. I think .39 is
24 > currently a lemon.
25 >
26 > If you can make it with the old .38 version, I would. At least for
27 > a little bit anyway.
28
29 .39 screwed up my nouveau frame buffer, took a lot of frantic hit and
30 miss with graphics options to get it back.
31
32 .38 was rock-solid
33
34 I wonder what 3.0 will be like