From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange behaviour of dhcpcd
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:47:31
1 Am Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:16:04 +0100
2 schrieb "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On Friday, October 31, 2014 11:47:50 AM Marc Joliet wrote:
5 > > Am Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:52:54 +0100
6 > >
7 > > schrieb "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>:
8 > > > On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 07:31:56 PM Marc Joliet wrote:
9 > > [...]
10 > >
11 > > > > Oh, and there are two powerline/dLAN adapters in between (the modem is
12 > > > > in
13 > > > >
14 > > > > the room next door), but direct connections between my computer and my
15 > > > > brother's always worked, and they've been reliable in general, so I
16 > > > > assume
17 > > > > that they're irrelevant here.
18 > > >
19 > > > Uh-oh... If you have multiple machines that can ask for a DHCP-lease, you
20 > > > might keep getting a different result each time it tries to refresh.
21 > >
22 > > How so? You mean if the modem is directly connected to the powerline
23 > > adapter? I would be surprised if this were a problem in general, since
24 > > AFAIU they're ultimately just bridges as far as the network is concerned,
25 > > not to mention that they explicitly target home networks with multiple
26 > > devices.
27 >
28 > Actually, a HUB is a better comparison.
29 > All the powerline adapters all connect to the same network. Some you can set
30 > to a network-ID (think vlan) to limit this.
31
32 Also, AFAICS, all newer ones support encryption (AES128 in my case), where you
33 pair the devices, for which you need physical access to press the necessary
34 buttons. This can be used to similar effect IIUC. No clue on cross-vendor
35 compatibility, though. However, encryption was mainly targeted at solving the
36 next problem:
37
38 > The one time I played with one, I ended up seeing my neighbours NAS.
39
40 Yeah, that problem gets mentioned a lot. You can access every other
41 (compatible) powerline adapter on the same electric network. Adapters on
42 different phases could have trouble communicating, I believe, and cross-talk
43 between cables can lead to data leaking into another network (but my knowledge
44 on things electric is reaching its end). In my case, our apartment has an
45 electric meter that isolates our apartment from the others, so we're fine
46 (plus, the adapters use encryption as mentioned above)
47
48 > > But in the end, it doesn't matter, since it's just for my desktop (which
49 > > doesn't have WLAN built-in); all other clients connect via WLAN.
50 > >
51 > > FWIW, I chose poewrline because it seemed like a better (and driverless!)
52 > > alternative to getting a WLAN USB-stick (or PCI(e) card), and so far I'm
53 > > quite happy with it.
54 >
55 > If you can ensure that only 2 devices communicate, it's a valid replacement
56 > for a dedicated network cable.
57
58 I didn't explicitly mention this, but the problem is that the router and modem
59 are in my brothers room (four room shared students apartment, plus bathroom and
60 kitchen). Now, I'm not about to drag a cable out of my room, across the hall,
61 and into my brother's room, never mind that neither of us could close our doors
62 anymore without unplugging the cable and dragging it back.
63
64 So the alternative would have been to teach my desktop WLAN, which would've been
65 slower unless I could find something for PCI(e) or USB3 that works with Linux,
66 *without* me having to check out some git repository and manually compile
67 things in the hope that it works. The first USB3 WLAN adapter I found would've
68 lead to that, so I made a snap decision in favour of powerline. It also didn't
69 hurt that I was curious about it and wanted to try it out :) .
70
71 (I actually had to (unexpectedly) to do that with my wireless keyboard. Now
72 there's app-misc/solaar, thankfully, although why Logitech couldn't just stick
73 with infrared...)
74
75 > (If you accept the reduction in line-speed)
76
77 How long ago was this? I read that all modern devices incorporate various
78 filters to mitigate disturbances coming from other devices and, thus, that they
79 perform much better (or at least more robustly) than previous generations
80 (they also *cause* less disturbances). Either way, I can saturate our 16 MiB/s
81 internet connection with enough parallel downloads (or with a fast enough
82 server, such as with speedtest.net), and LAN performance is satisfactory. I
83 suspect one limiting factor is that the powerline adapters only have Fast
84 Ethernet connections (of course, so does the router, so it doesn't matter).
85
86 [...]
87 > > > I once connected a fresh install directly to the modem. Only took 20
88 > > > seconds to get owned. (This was about 9 years ago and Bind was running)
89 > >
90 > > Ouch.
91 >
92 > I was, to be honest, expecting it to be owned. (Just not this quick).
93 > It was done on purpose to see how long it would take. I pulled the network
94 > cable when the root-kit was being installed. Was interesting to see.
95
96 I bet :) !
97
98 > > I just hope the Fritz!Box firewall is configured correctly, especially since
99 > > there doesn't appear to be a UI for it. Well, OK, there is, but it's not
100 > > very informative in that it doesn't tell me what rules (other than manually
101 > > entered ones) are currently in effect; all it explicitly says is that it
102 > > blocks NetBIOS packets. The only other thing that's bothered me about the
103 > > router is the factory default (directly after flashing the firmware) of
104 > > activating WPA2 *and* WPA (why?!). I turned off WPA as soon as I noticed.
105 >
106 > It will have NAT enabled, which blocks most incoming packets. As long as the
107 > router isn't owned, you should be ok.
108
109 Right, I *expected* that, but it's nice to be able to verify it.
110
111 > > Out of curiosity, I looked through the exported configuration file (looks
112 > > like JSON), and found entries that look like firewall rules, but don't
113 > > really know how they apply. It's less the rules themselves, though, than
114 > > the context, i.e., the rules are under "pppoefw" and "dslifaces", even
115 > > though the router uses neither PPPoE nor DSL (perhaps a sign that AVM's
116 > > software grows just as organically as everybody else's ;-) ). The one thing
117 > > I'm most curious about is what "lowinput", "highoutput", etc. mean, as
118 > > Google only found me other people asking the same question.
119 >
120 > Not familiar with those routers. Maybe someone with more knowledge can have a
121 > look at the config and shed some light. I would do a find/replace on the
122 > username and password you use to ensure that is masked before sending it to
123 > someone to investigate.
124
125 It's not really important, again, I just like to be able to verify it, although
126 right now I'm probably just being unnecessarily paranoid. AVM's routers have a
127 good reputation (which is why we got one), and I'm inclined to trust them unless
128 given reason to.
129
130 > > Anyway, it *looks* like it blocks everything from the internet by default
131 > > (except for "output-related" and "input-related", which I interpret to mean
133 > > the manual seems to agree by implying that the firewall is for explicitly
134 > > opening ports. Also, I used the Heise "Netzwerk Check" and it reports no
135 > > problems, so I'm mostly relieved.
136 >
137 > Yes, that's a common setting.
138
139 Again, me being overly focused on this, with a dose of paranoia. I would be
140 surprised if the firewall were set up differently.
141
142 [...]
143 > > Anyway, I think that I'll contact the dhcpcd maintainer (Roy Marples)
144 > > directly and ask for his opinion.
145 >
146 > Oki, keep us updated.
147
148 Will do.
151 Marc Joliet
152 --
153 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
154 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup