From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] A couple projects on my laptop
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 13:04:11
1 > > My /etc/fstab says:
2 > > /dev/sdb1 /mnt/removable vfat noauto,async,user,exec 0 0
3 > > and I can mount it as a user just by clicking on its icon on
4 Konqueror,
5 > > for example.
6 > >
7 > > I think what you really need, however, is not automount but maybe
8 HAL.
9 > > Check in the wiki and/or docs for info, and don't run away in fear
10 if
11 > > you see some page of instruction... after all, you're using Gentoo!
12 :)
13 >
14 > Search this mailing list over the last week or so. At least three
15 > different threads asked exactly the same Q re: mounting USB CFs.
16 >
17 > Consider HAL, ivman if you want automounting of CFs and eventually
18 > decide to bother setting it up (it's not that difficult).
19 >
20 > Another thread over the last two weeks or so, explained what entries
21 > you need in your xorg.conf to manage your screen. (Hint: check man
22 > xorg.conf for Option "SuspendTime", or DPMS "off ", etc. Also,
23 > consider setting up your /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf if you want to
24 > do the same thing manually.
25 >
26 > Sorry, I can't help with the VPN set up. I recall reading about it in
27 > Gentoo Wiki if I'm not wrong.
28 >
29 > An equivalent to hyperterm is minicom. If you want an alternative to
30 > a telnet client (and you would rather use something more secure than
31 > telnet) then try ssh.
32 >
33 > HTH.
34 > --
35 > Regards,
36 > Mick
37
38 [Timothy A. Holmes]
39
40 Hi Mick - thanks for the response - I checked into the stuff from that
41 earlier thread, inserted the entries specified, and it did no good at
42 all, im beginning to suspect that it is something to do with the gateway
43 bios, as all my gateway gentoo machines do it, and none respond to the
44 commands in xorg.conf.
47 Thanks for the tip on minicom -- I will look into that one for sure -- I
48 use SSH constantly, I need this connection only for switches and UPS
49 serial port connections -- they are a last backup in case the Ethernet
50 goes down
51
52 TIM
55 Timothy A. Holmes
56 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
57
58 Medina Christian Academy
59 A Higher Standard...
60