From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 19:33:29
1 On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >>    I'm happy to be corrected (by Volker I'm sure) but that's my guess
6 >> as to what you're seeing.
7 >
8 > you are confusing bios calls and bios programming chips as.... also - is there
9 > any good reason to use IDE mode? Any? At all?
10
11 I don't believe I'm 'confusing bios calls with bios programming'. The
12 BIOS can do whatever it wants to in programming the chips as long as
13 grub can still find the kernel. After grub finds the kernel the kernel
14 is free to override whatever chip programming the BIOS has done and
15 reprogram the chips as it sees best.
16
17 I think the issue meino possibly has is that he likely didn't include
18 an Int13 type driver in the kernel or most likely his system would
19 have booted like it did in the _very_ old days.
20
21 I agree that there isn't any good reason I know of to use IDE mode
22 unless the other modes the BIOS provides don't work.
23
24 I cannot get into my Asus BIOS at the moment, but as I remember it
25 Asus gave me something like
26
27 IDE
28 AHCI
29 AHCI + compatibility
30
31 IIRC I had to use the last one to get mine to boot but I may be wrong
32 about that. I only mention this as meino is also using Asus so he
33 might look for similar options.
34
35 - Mark